Blanco’s Bean Soup
2 Cups Dry Beans (sugar beans etc)
750g Beef Shanks
2 Sticks Celery
3 Medium Potatoes
2 Sprigs Rosemary
2 Sprigs Thyme
3 Bay Leaves
2 Whole Cloves
2 Cloves Garlic
- Soak beans overnight (or for at least 5 hours)
- Brown Beef Shanks in hot pan
- Place in saucepan with 1 whole carrot, 1 whole onion, 1 stick celery, the herbs and crushed garlic. Add 4 liters of water.
- Bring to boil and let simmer for further 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Take out meat and strain the stock.
- Add beans to the stock and cook until beans are soft.
- Chop remainder of carrots and onion and add.
- Chop meat and potato in small pieces and add to the soup (add water if soup is too thick)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with parsley and serve with home-baked bread.